Residential fires take their toll every day and year, in lost lives, injuries, and destroyed property. According to the National Fire Protection Association, a home structure fire was reported every 86 seconds in the U.S. in 2014. Taking the time for some simple precautions, preventive inspections and concrete planning can help prevent fires in the home and can save lives should disaster strike.
- All electrical devices including lamps, appliances, and electronics should be checked for frayed cords, loose or broken plugs and exposed wiring. Never run electrical wires, including extension cords under carpet or rugs as this creates a fire hazard.
- Fireplaces should be checked by a professional chimney sweep each year and cleaned if necessary to prevent a dangerous buildup of creosote. Cresote can cause a flash fire in the chimney. Cracks in masonry chimneys should be repaired and spark arresters inspected to ensure they are in good condition and free of debris.
- When using space heaters, keep them away from beds and bedding, curtains & papers (anything flammable.) Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use. Space heaters should not be left unattended or where a child or pet could knock them over.
- Use smoke detectors with fresh batteries unless they are hard-wired to your home’s electrical system. Smoke detectors should be installed high on walls or on ceilings on every level of the home, inside each bedroom and outside every sleeping area. Statistics show that nearly 60% of home fire fatalities occur in homes without working smoke alarms. Most municipalities now require the use of working smoke detectors in both single and multi-family residences.
- Children should not have access to or be allowed to play with matches, lighters, or candles. Flammable materials such as gasoline, kerosene or propane should always be stored outside and away from the house.
- Kitchen fires know no season. Grease spills, items left unattended on the stove or in the oven and food left in toasters or toaster ovens can catch fire quickly. Don’t wear loose fitting clothing, especially with long sleeves around the stove. Handles of pots and pans should be turned away from the front of the stove to prevent accidental contact. Keep all-purpose fire extinguisher within easy reach. Extinguishers specifically formulated for grease and cooking fuel fires are available and can supplement an all-purpose extinguisher.
- Have an escape plan. This is one of the most important measures to prevent death in a fire. Visit ready.gov for detailed information on how to make a plan. Local fire departments can also provide recommendations on escape planning and preparedness. In addition, all family members should know how to dial 911 in case of a fire or other emergency.
- Live Christmas trees should be kept in a water-filled stand and checked daily for dehydration. Needles should not easily break off a freshly-cut tree. Brown needles or lots of fallen needles indicate a dangerously dried-out tree which should be discarded immediately. Always use nonflammable decorations in the home, and never use lights on a dried-out tree.
- Candles add a festive feeling and should be placed in stable holders located away from curtains, drafts, pets and children. Never leave candles unattended even for a short time.
- Holiday lights should be checked for fraying or broken wires and plugs. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines when joining two or more strands together as a fire hazard could result from overload. Enjoy indoor holiday lighting only while someone is home and turn them off before going to bed at night.